Organization: Gatsby Charitable Foundation
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 20 Nov 2017
The Cotton Sector Development Programme (CSDP) works with the Tanzania Cotton Board and other public and private stakeholders to improve the incomes and livelihoods of 360,000 small-scale farmers in Tanzania’s Lake Zone by transforming the country’s entire cotton sector.
The CSDP uses a market systems approach to sector development. It is working with government agencies and ginners to develop a competitive, resilient and inclusive cotton sector, based on smallholder production. A core component is developing and strengthening systems whereby smallholder farmers can access, through the private retail sector, the necessary inputs, services and knowledge they require to farm cotton and other crops successfully, sustainably and profitably.
CSDP is a Gatsby Africa programme with co-funding from the UK’s Department of International Development and support from Tanzania Gatsby Trust.
The Senior Manager, Farmer Support Services will play a key role in leading the implementation of CSDP’s existing farmer-facing support, including farmer access to inputs, output markets, service markets, finance and knowledge.
She/he will provide strategic leadership on the development and implementation of strategies aimed at creating changes in market systems surrounding smallholder farmers’ access to vital goods and services. This will involve working to develop a sustainable network of village-based agro-dealers and service providers (tillage and spray service providers) supported by private sector input supply chains, and with the necessary supporting functions.
The ideal candidate will need to have:
- A strong commitment to, and demonstrated understanding of, market development solutions (M4P and similar) to address rural poverty.
- The ability to build trusted business relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- The ability to provide the necessary reasoned analysis and development of strategy.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to design and pilot market interventions.
- An understanding of smallholder agriculture and, ideally, the private sector input supply industry.
- Excellent work planning and communication skills.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for improving the livelihoods of the rural poor and be extremely results-oriented towards that goal.
- Commitment to a high standard of professional performance and integrity.
- Initiative and the ability to work independently, taking a high degree of personal responsibility for results.
- A private sector outlook on development, and be enthusiastic about promoting private sector investment to drive change.
- Strong intellectual curiosity.
Qualifications, Experience and Expectations
- 10 years’ relevant post-graduate experience – ideally at least some of which will have been in the private sector.
- Some experience of working in international development, ideally in Africa.
- Extensive experience of developing analytical solutions to strategic problems, in either a public or private sector context.
- Experience of working with senior management and engaging with the private sector.
- Experience in establishing or developing commercial entities serving smallholder farmer customers would be a significant bonus.
- Experience in managing the performance of individuals and teams, including coaching and mentoring subordinates.
- Higher education qualification at Bachelor’s Degree level or above.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential, with knowledge of Swahili an advantage.
- At least intermediate skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
The role reports to the Cotton Sector Development Programme Director. The role is based in Mwanza, with regular travel to Dar Es Salaam and around the Lake Zone.
Gatsby Africa has a long-term outlook and flexible approach. This gives our staff huge scope for innovation, creativity and the use of a range of different partnerships, financial tools and intervention strategies. For a high-calibre person this should be an exciting and rewarding position, with the opportunity to develop new thinking and make a real impact.
How to apply:
If you are interested and meet the requirements, please complete our online application form: http://oxfordhr.co.uk/job/senior-manager-farmer-support-services/.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania