Organization: Istituto Oikos
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date:29 Mar 2015
POSITION: Project Manager
PROJECT: “*Investing in Maasai women for improving rural communities well-being*”
Project funded by EuropeAid
DUTY STATION: Arusha, Tanzania with field missions in project area (Arusha, Longido e Monduli Districts)
DURATION: 12 months (renewable for others 3 years)
STARTING DATE: April 2015
General duties:The Project Manager will be in charge of the planning, implementation, monitoring and supervision of project activities in coordination with project co-applicants and according to project document and donor procedure.
- Manage and coordinate the local staff. Particularly in coordination with Oikos Administrator the PM will: a) develop the Terms of Reference for the project personnel; b) carry out the candidates’ selection; c) prepare local contracts; d) supervise staff field work and monthly time sheets.
- Prepare the MoU to be signed by Oikos East Africa (applicant) and project co-applicants (TRIAS, Maasai Pastoralist Foundation and Marketplace Literacy Trust) and affiliated entity (Istituto Oikos) for the implementation of the action.
- Coordinate project activities with co-applicants, relevant actors (local authorities at District, Wards and village level) and significant project stakeholders.
- Provide technical support for project activities, among others: a) women trainings in Marketplace Literacy and other thematic; b) women group organization; c) establishment and management of small women entrepreneurship; d) organization and management of social funds by community-based groups; e) local Traditional Women Groups’ assessment and strengthening; f) design and implementation of awareness campaigns; g) organization of roundtables and workshops with project stakeholders.
- Identify project indicators to monitor the impact of project activities and results.
- Prepare a visibility and communication plan, following EU procedure and under the supervision of Istituto Oikos HQ.
- Organize and coordinate the missions of international experts, local consultants and EU officers.
- Organize the exchange visits of Maasai women in India and Indian women in Tanzania.
- Manage, in collaboration with the Local Administrator, the project financial resources following EU and Oikos internal procedures. In particular support the following: a) monthly control of the budget and of the expenditures incurred; b) verification of the monthly accountability reports to be sent in Italy; c) preparation of the budget requests for Istituto Oikos HQ; d) preparation of possible requests of budget revisions and no-cost extensions to donor delegation.
- Prepare the following reports:
- Monthly technical reports to be submitted to Istituto Oikos HQ according to Oikos procedure and format (based on the reports of the technical staff)
- Quarterly narrative report to be submitted to Istituto Oikos HQ (based on the quarterly technical and financial reports prepared by the co-applicants)
- Annual technical reports for donor to be submitted to Istituto Oikos HQ for preliminary approval. The PM will also support the preparation of annual financial reports in collaboration with Oikos Administrator.
- Degree in rural development sciences or related fields.
- At least 6 years’ experience in the field of rural development and in international cooperation projects. Strong experience in women empowerment activities is an asset.
- Capacities to plan, implement and monitor field activities.
- Strong experience in working with partners and commitment to teamwork.
- Effective communication, motivating leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Very good reporting writing skills and computer literacy.
- Sound knowledge of EU procedure (management of the financial resources, monitoring, visibility activities, reporting).
- Proficiency in English.
- Swahili knowledge is an asset.
- Previous experience in Tanzania is an added value.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The project aims at improving Maasai pastoralist women knowledge and skills in three district of the Arusha Region through an integrated strategy which combines the training of selected women with traditional groups’ support, the improvement of social services and development of local economy.
General objective: Contribute to reduce poverty and improved livelihoods of vulnerable rural Maasai communities in Arusha Region.
Specific objective: Promote the social and economic inclusion of Maasai women groups in pastoralist communities of Arusha, Monduli and Longido Districts.
1) Selection of 5,000 beneficiaries (women) using socio-economic criteria
2) Development of educational programs (Marketplace Literacy)
3) Women trainings (technical trainings and English classes)
4) Exchange visits Tanzania/India
5) Establishment of Member-based organizations for small entrepreneurships
6) Creation of Community Social Funds
7) Microcredit promotion for up-scaling productive opportunities
8) Establishment of information points at Ward level to provide information and consulting services to the population
9) Strengthening of 25 Traditional Women Groups
10) Awareness campaigns on civil and social rights
11) Organization of roundtables involving local authorities and key stakeholders.
Applicant: Oikos East Africa
Co-applicants: TRIAS, Maasai Pastoralist Foundation, Marketplace Literacy Trust,
Affiliated entity: Istituto Oikos
Starting date: 1° April 2014
Duration: 4 years
How to apply:
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 29/03/2015
HOW TO APPLY:Interested candidates should send their CV, a letter of motivation and the details of 3 people for professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating Vacancy Notice PM/TZ/2015 in the subject line.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.