Organization: Project Concern International
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date:27 Mar 2015
The Program Director is a member of the Senior Leadership Team for PCI Tanzania. S/he is an innovative and visionary leader responsible for resourcefully planning and directing PCI Tanzania programming. The Program Director has supervisory responsibility for program Managers and Coordinators, and manages a diverse portfolio of programs and research. The Director is responsible for developing sustainable, integrated programming and is accountable to beneficiaries and donors, placing a high value on innovative solutions to development issues and creative partnerships.
- MA, MBA or equivalent in relevant field
- 5-7 years of field experience in international development programs; previous working experience in SSA region desirable
- 2-3 years of senior-level leadership, capacity building and field management experience.
- Proven skills in finance and grant management; prior experience with USG donors (USAID, USDA, etc.) desired
- Effective communication and organization skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills; Swahili language skills are relevant, but not required.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve program goals and objectives and contribute to the PCI Tanzania Country Strategy.
- Create opportunities for PCI Tanzania to provide leadership at regional and national levels in Tanzania, and speak into national-level policies and policy discussions.
- Bring innovation into program design and implementation, ensuring diversity of modalities and promotion of active learning and iteration to improve program quality and effectiveness.
- Integrate PCI Strategic Direction priorities into program design and implementation.
- Oversee ongoing program management by Program Managers and overall administration of program teams.
- Coordinate and direct program planning processes to ensure integration of programs, proper understanding of program goals and objectives, and engagement and buy-in of key stakeholders.
- Develop and oversee program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, protocols and agreements, and capacity building of partners as potentially identified through PCI’s I-STAR methodology.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities, authorities and partners and consistent with PCI program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Integrate sustainability, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate
- In coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation department, ensure that Program Managers have access to and are appropriately using routine monitoring and periodic assessment / survey data.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to achieve the desired impact
- Draft and/or review scopes of work to hire and manage technical consultants, including review for technical capacities and contract budgets
- Lead the program team in implementation of all Tanzania programs.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect in which team members strive to achieve excellence, and look for ways to complement and contribute to each other’s efforts.
- Ensure program integration both within and between different programs to arrive at a holistic, coordinated approach at the community level.
- Work closely with the HR department to hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews and follow-up on annual performance objectives and plans.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance, look for ways to innovate, and reach objectives
- Contribute to country team-building and staff development efforts, and support the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure program staff compliance with the PCI Tanzania security plan and related procedures.
Financial Management and Compliance
- Support and maintain systems to ensure effective and transparent use of financial resources and timely, accurate and informative reporting in compliance with donor regulations and PCI policies and procedures
- Support Program Managers in effective budget management, including accurate spending forecasts, expense monitoring, etc.
- Review and approve activity plans or monthly spending projections, according to project budgets and annual spending projections.
- Support and where possible, improve operational systems and structures to ensure effective administrative and logistics support for programs
- Manage program budgets
- Represent PCI Tanzania programs in various forums (meetings, conferences, etc.) and during partner and donor representative in-country visits.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key contacts including National-level Tanzanian government officials, donor representatives, INGO and national NGO representatives, and relevant UN agency representatives.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with sub-grantees, local government authorities and other stakeholders
- Lead by example and consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs
How to apply: