Organization: International Organization for Migration
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date:18 Mar 2015
International Organization for Migration www.iom.int
Migration Health Physician (National Officer)
Terms of Reference
I. Position Information:
Vacancy Announcement :IOM/001/15
Reporting directly to National Migration Health Officer, Overall supervision by Head of Sub Office, Kigoma
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Under supervision of the National Migration Health Officer, administrative supervision of the Head of Office and the general supervision of the Regional Migration Health Assessment Coordinator based in Nairobi, the incumbent shall perform health assessments to ensure that identified refugees are medically fit to migrate in accordance with the medical/health requirements of the resettlement countries. The incumbent shall perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Perform migration health assessments and complete related medical documentation of refugees selected for migration in accordance with the resettlement country’s Medical Examination Guidelines/Protocols for Immigrants and the IOM Migration Health Assessment Guidelines.
- Perform Pre-departure medical examinations and pre-embarkation medical check-up (fitness for travel assessments) for all refugees’ prior their departure to the destination country
- Order diagnostic tests such as x-ray, electrocardiograms, laboratory tests, etc., and refers patients to specialists for treatment as maybe required.
- Administer chemoprophylaxis treatment and immunizations as per the receiving country’s requirements.
- Ensure the program fulfils the technical requirements of the resettlement countries including supervision and standardization of all aspects of the medical examination and documentation process including, but not limited to, medical case registration, medical treatment and follow up program, data processing and management.
- In absence of the National Migration Health Officer, act as officer in charge and provide technical supervision and monitoring of IOM MHD Kigoma staff to ensure that the following activities are performed in accordance with the technical requirements of the resettlement countries: medical case registration, migration health assessments, medical forms transmission, medical treatment and follow-up programs, data processing and management, pre-embarkation medical examination, medical escort and report.
- Under close guidance and supervision of the National Migration Health Officer, incumbent establish and enforce the necessary quality assurance (QA) principles and the applicable public health management practices to improve compliance with resettlement country guidelines in migration health assessments,
- Closely assisting National Migration Health Officer, the incumbent with proactively work and coordinate all aspects of the work activities with IOM OPS colleagues in Kigoma and Nairobi, as well as with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories.
- Will assist in the preparation, design, analysis and implementation of possible research activities related to the migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Will assist in developing potential health and migration research/ projects/program for the mission.
- Provide healthcare assistance and services to IOM staff in IOM Kigoma.
- Undertake duty travel and medical escorting duties as needed
- Perform any other duties that may be required and assigned by the National Migration Health Officer and supervisors in line.
IV. Competencies The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs Technical · Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
· Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
V. Education and Experience* Bachelor, Master’s Degree in related area.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience.
VI. Languages Required
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili
How to apply:
Qualified national candidates are encouraged to apply no later than 18 March 2015
To apply please send a motivation letter specifying the Vacancy Notice Number, and the filled out personal history form, accessible here: http://www.iom.int/files/live/sites/iom/files/About-IOM/docs/Personal-history-form.xls to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications which do not meet the specified minimum requirements or are received after closing date will not be considered.
Acknowledgements will be sent to short-listed candidates.