Organization: International Organization for Migration
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date:18 Mar 2015
Migration Health Nurse
I. Position Information
Duty Station: Kigoma, Tanzania
Seniority Brand: G4
Reporting directly to National Migration Health Officer. Overall supervision by Head of Sub Office, Kigoma
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of the National Medical Officer, administrative supervision of Head of office in Kigoma and supervision of the Chief Nurse, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting in performing required routine clinical tasks/procedures in connection with the health assessment and treatment to ensure that identified refugees and migrants are medically fit to migrate in accordance with the medical/health requirements of the receiving countries.
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist in taking and recording medical history, performing anthropometrics and vital signs measurements, and help in visual acuity measurements.
- Assist the Chief Nurse in compiling medical records, files, charts, X-ray films, already decoded laboratory results prior to physical examination for doctor’s use.
- Authenticate the identity of refugee, as maybe requested, prior to clinical examinations.
- Assists the National Medical Officer and Chief Nurse during actual physical examinations.
- Assist the National Medical Officer and Chief Nurse in pre-departure medical procedures, pre-embarkation check-ups, administration of chemoprophylaxis for parasites, medical surveillance in the IOM Transit Center
- Assist the medical officer or nurse in administering vaccines, treatment – previously measured doses and prescriptions ordered by the National Medical Officer.
- Prepare, install or sterilize medical equipment needed for medical examination.
- Request and re-stocks required medical supplies and drugs and medicines.
- Monitor and report expiration dates of drugs and medicines and refers to Chief Nurse for disposal.
- Maintain and safe-keep medical kits used by medical escorts and staff on duty mission.
- Assist the medical officer or nurse in performing pre-departure medical checks and distributing doses to travelling refugees/migrants.
- Prepare a report on therapeutic procedures administered to migrants, in accordance with the requirements of resettlement countries.
- Participate in field missions in out of duty stations and acts as nurse escort of medical cases.
- Maintain confidentiality of information and collaborative relationship with clients, partners and health professionals.
IV. Competencies The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies Behavioural
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings Client Orientation
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests Performance Management
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans Professionalism
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions Teamwork
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work Technological Awareness
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability Technical * Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality in performing responsibilities
V. Education and Experience*
Completed Secondary school diploma, Diploma in Nursing and registration with the Nursing Council of Tanzania as a Registered Nurse.
- Minimum of 4 years work experience in Clinical Nursing.
- Training and experience in TB, STDs, other communicable diseases as well as immunization/vaccination programs is considered an distinct advantage
- Previous work experience with an international organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office products (Excel, Outlook, Word etc.
Required Fluency in both written and spoken
English and Kiswahili
Advantageous:higher degree in the related area is advantageous
How to apply:
Qualified national candidates are encouraged to apply no later than 18 March 2015
To apply please send a motivation letter specifying the Vacancy Notice Number, and the filled out personal history form, accessible here: http://www.iom.int/files/live/sites/iom/files/About-IOM/docs/Personal-history-form.xls to email@example.com
Applications which do not meet the specified minimum requirements or are received after closing date will not be considered.
Acknowledgements will be sent to short-listed candidates.