Organization: Futures Group
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 03 Apr 2015
Health Finance and Advocacy Advisor
The Health Policy Project (HPP) aims to strengthen developing country national and subnational policy, advocacy, and governance for strategic, equitable, and sustainable health programming. The project, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), addresses key health issues—family planning/reproductive health (FP/RH), HIV, and maternal health—and promotes health systems strengthening and program integration.
Purpose of Role
Futures Group is seeking a Health Finance and Advocacy Advisor (HFAA) who will provide leadership, direction, and advocacy around health financing in Tanzania, especially for HIV and AIDS, by engaging in focused activities such as joint strategy development with the Government of Tanzania (GOT), technical analyses on health financing, stakeholder consultation, and engagement with Tanzanian advocates for health in civil society and parliament. The HFAA will conduct self-directed technical analyses and keep abreast of developments in the HIV and health financing field in Tanzania, helping to produce training materials, technical reports, and briefs as required. The HFFA must deploy in-depth knowledge of health finance issues in Tanzania and broadly in East Africa, as well as an understanding of the Tanzanian Parliamentary process for budget decision-making, and of local media relations. The incumbent of this position will report to the headquarters-based Senior Economist/Senior Program Advisor in HPP.
12 months (April 2015 – April 2016)
Minimum education and experience required
- Experience in health finance and health economics in the context of Tanzania and/or East Africa
- Experience working with Tanzania media including taking complex concepts and making them easily understood by the media.
- Experience in engaging Tanzanian Parliamentarians and other key opinion leaders around key health issues, especially on financing.
- Experience working with high-level national health sector coordinating mechanisms, such as technical working groups, advisory groups, etc.
- Experience teaching/training other stakeholders in TZ (including advocates, lobbyists, others) on the legislative and other policy development processes.
- Strong diplomacy skills and experience working with high-level government stakeholders.
- Advanced degree in public health, public policy, or health economics
- Experience: With Masters-level qualification: 3-5 years of experience required, with at least 2-3 years in Tanzania working in the health sector.
- Significant knowledge of Government of Tanzania planning and budgeting processes.
- Fluency in English and Swahili required
- Knowledge of relevant literature related to topic area
- Prior experience working with USAID-funded programs not required, but will be an advantage Strong written and oral communication skills for high-level policy audiences
How to apply:
This role is suited for candidates based in Dar es Salaam and will not attract mobilization/relocation assistance. Applicants must have eligibility to work and live in Tanzania. No expatriate benefits are associated with this position.
All applications for this position should be submitted online at www.futuresgroup.com via the Careers page.
Futures Group provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania