Organization: IMA World Health
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date:21 Mar 2015
****Country Director – Tanzania****
With a mission to restore health and healing to those most in need, IMA World Health is a non-profit, faith-based organization that offers extensive expertise in health systems strengthening as well as neglected tropical diseases, malaria, HIV, non-communicable diseases, and sexual and gender based violence programs in some of the most challenging and post-conflict settings throughout Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean. We are seeking a Country Director for Tanzania.
The Country Director will provide leadership to IMA World Health’s project portfolio being implemented in Tanzania. This position will focus on building and maintaining partnerships so that IMA can continue engaging in core priority health areas, including health systems strengthening, disease management and control programs, and nutrition. The Country Director will provide advisory leadership for implementation of IMA’s projects in country. Working with HQ and in-country staff, the Country Director will provide oversight to set up and support the overall organizational strategy for program implementation and development opportunities for IMA World Health in Tanzania.
- Provide leadership and direction to IMA Tanzania staff in all functional areas including: Program, Finance, HR, and Administration.
- Ensure completion of quality and timely deliverables to donors for IMA’s projects in Tanzania.
- Provide budgetary oversight for the office management and designated projects under the purview of the office.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in coordinating complex schedules.
- Represent IMA at meetings with Government of Tanzania counterparts, including the Ministry of Health and other Ministries, donors, bilateral agencies, and with partners.
- Advocate for the interests of IMA constituencies, including faith-based partners and IMA’s US member agencies.
- Represent IMA in national and regional forums as well as on relevant committees and task forces.
- Provide leadership on business development in Tanzania, focused in four areas:
- Identifying proactively new funding opportunities.
- Directing and managing support for the development and submission of proposals to major bilateral, multilateral and other donor agencies including foundations.
- Gathering intelligence and networking with donors and key stakeholders.
- Keeping abreast of trends in the health and development sector, coordinating strategic guidance on key program development areas.
- Work with the leadership of the Program Department and the Business Development Department to strategically assess programmatic needs, identify priorities for funding and pursue potential donors compatible with IMA World Health’s strategic priorities for Tanzania.
- Manage, lead and coordinate new opportunities, and the development of proposals and concept notes in coordination with the Business Development and Program Departments, coordinating organizational decision-making around development and bidding priorities.
- Build networks with colleagues in Tanzania to identify new opportunities for innovative programming and potential funding sources to support the strategic priorities of IMA World Health.
- Provide leadership and direction to the faith-based strategic thinking and work planning processes to ensure that FBO perspectives are brought to bear in project design and implementation.
- Analyze and track donor trends at the country levels.
- In-country travel may be required, with occasional travel outside of Tanzania.
- Graduate degree – MBA, MPH or other related field.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years’ experience working in international public health including experience leading a complex program portfolio. Experience in Tanzania is preferred.
- Capable of directing and managing change, inspiring teamwork and high performing teams. Maintain a positive outlook, motivate self and team to work constructively under pressure.
- Strong program and business development orientation including demonstrated ability to think, plan and implement strategically and competitively in the development of new programs.
- Successful track record in program and proposal development and writing for a variety of donors including foundations and bilateral and multilateral agencies.
- Knowledge of DFAT, Millennium Challenge Corporation, USAID, DFID, and other bilateral and multilateral funding agencies, and private foundations.
- Significant programmatic and technical knowledge about public health in developing countries, specific knowledge of the African and Tanzanian health context is a plus.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills, with proven attention to accuracy and details.
- Understanding of financial, administrative, and human resource functions in a public health organization.
- Ability and flexibility to adjust schedules and priorities to meet proposal deadlines, juggle multiple assignments, and manage shifting priorities.
- Experience leading and managing a professional and support staff in a multicultural, multi-linguistic environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Internet fluency a plus.
- Willingness to support IMA World Health’s Mission.
How to apply:
FT position with excellent benefits. EOE. Please apply online through the Careers Page of our website: www.imaworldhealth.org by March 15, 2015.