Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 10 Nov 2017
We’re looking for a Communication and Knowledge Dissemination Specialist (Central Corridor, Tanzania)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Skills for Employment Tanzania (SET) is a planned multi-phase vocational skills development project to be funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). SET aims to improve prospects of gainful youth employment and self-employment by improving relevance, quality, and access to vocational skills development. Through a market systems facilitation approach, the project’s focus will be on supporting and leveraging existing Tanzanian institutions to expand and adapt their services in order to address the needs and demands of both youth and the economy. An inception phase is estimated to run February to March 2018, followed by a four-year implementation phase, valued at $6.1 million.
As Communication & Knowledge Dissemination Specialist you will:
- Develop and execute an innovative communications strategy that supports access to vocational skills development for youth (women in particular) and shares learnings with project stakeholders in the vocational skills and youth employment space.
- Lead development and dissemination of project communication and marketing materials.
- Collaborate closely with project staff to ensure that the communications strategy aligns with programmatic milestones and to generate knowledge about project learnings.
- Regularly travel to the field to collect information, stories, and visuals for publication-quality impact stories, case studies, presentations and other compelling knowledge-sharing and communications materials.
- Conduct media outreach (print, broadcast, and social media) to deliver messages about project goals, activities, and learnings with project beneficiaries, the general public and project stakeholders (government, the private sector, donors, NGOs, etc.).
- Provide technical support to vocational skills providers on communications strategies.
- Lead planning and execution of project events.
- Contribute to periodic donor reports, including layout, editing, and formatting.
- Understand all gender integration requirements (donor as well as internal to TechnoServe) and ensure that the project’s gender strategy is reflected in communications materials and events.
Please note this position is contingent upon donor funding.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, English, Journalism, or related field. A Master’s degree in one of these areas is preferred.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in communications, advocacy or public information roles.
- Outstanding writing skills. Demonstrated experience synthesizing complex data and information about complex economic trends into a compelling, easy-to-read product that contributes to learning and knowledge among stakeholders.
- Graphic design skills and mastery of relevant software (such as Adobe Illustrator or similar), as well as photography skills, are highly desired. Videography skills are a plus.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies that promote information-sharing and learning with project beneficiaries, stakeholders and the general public through various channels.
- Experience planning and executing events.
- Demonstrated an understanding of and passion for economic empowerment and improvement of livelihoods. Professional experience working on rural youth employment, vocational skills development and/or organizational capacity building is a plus.
Working proficiency in both English and Swahili required.
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas, and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates an open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Communications Manager and/or Senior Business Manager.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a non-returnable single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history with the subject “Communication and Knowledge Dissemination Specialist.” Applicants should include two examples of their work from their professional portfolio. The final deadline for application is November 10, 2017.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Women are encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=SGVydHkuMzI2MzYuMzgzMEB0ZWNobm9zZXJ2ZS5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Powered by Jobs Tanzania