Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 10 Nov 2017
We’re looking for a Catalytic Grants and Investment Specialist (Central Corridor, Tanzania)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Skills for Employment Tanzania (SET) is a planned multi-phase vocational skills development project to be funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). SET aims to improve prospects of gainful youth employment and self-employment by improving relevance, quality, and access to vocational skills development. Through a market systems facilitation approach, the project’s focus will be on supporting and leveraging existing Tanzanian institutions to expand and adapt their services in order to address the needs and demands of both youth and the economy. An inception phase is estimated to run February to March 2018, followed by a four-year implementation phase, valued at $6.1 million.
As Catalytic Grants and Investments Specialist you will:
- Collaborate with the project team to design a grants and sub-contracting strategy and process that incorporates best practices for market systems development/ M4P programs and aligns with TechnoServe and funder policies.
- Oversee the award process, including advertisement, an organization of technical review committees, documentation review, negotiations and selection of sub-awardees or sub-contractors. Provide technical leadership on the scope, duration, and size of awards.
- Monitor partner performance and compliance, including conducting monitoring visits.
- Identify performance and compliance issues and draft clear, comprehensive reports identifying issues and recommendations.
- Identify gaps in operational procedures and bottlenecks that hinder program implementation in the field and achievement of program outcomes, and recommend solutions.
Provide technical assistance to partners to support compliance and optimal performance.
Ensure that funder and TechnoServe gender requirements are integrated into project awards.
Provide effective and ongoing reporting to the Team Leader on all matters relevant to the effective and efficient management of grant-related issues and donor relations.
Contribute to donor reporting.
Please note this position is contingent upon donor funding.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Law or other relevant fields. A Master’s degree in one of these areas is preferred.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in grants or contracts management for a large-scale, complex international development assistance program. Experience working for a project funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) or other major bilateral funder is strongly preferred. Knowledge of SDC grant and sub-contracting regulations is a plus.
- Experience serving as a Grants Specialist or equivalent position for a program using a market systems development/M4P approach is strongly desired.
- Outstanding writing skills are required.
Strong organizational skills, including experience with record management.
Demonstrated experience making recommendations on the scope, duration and amount of grants.
Demonstrated ability to analyze grantee reports for compliance and make recommendations to strengthen performance.
Demonstrated an understanding of and passion for economic empowerment and improvement of livelihoods. Professional experience working on rural youth employment, vocational skills development and/or organizational capacity building is a plus.
Fluent in written and spoken English; fluency in Swahili highly desired.
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas, and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates an open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
Internal and External Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Grants Manager.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a non-returnable single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history with the subject “Catalytic Grants and Investments Specialist.” The final deadline for application is November 10, 2017.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Women are encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=SGVydHkuMjE0MTAuMzgzMEB0ZWNobm9zZXJ2ZS5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Powered by Jobs Tanzania