Closing date: Thursday, 16 April 2015
Posting Title: STATISTICIAN, P4
Job Code Title: CHIEF OF SECTION, STATISTICS
Department/ Office: Economic Commission for Africa
Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA
Posting Period: 17 March 2015-16 April 2015
Job Opening number: 15-STT-ECA-39382-R-ADDIS ABABA (X)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
- Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
- Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
- This vacancy is subject to availability of post.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the African Centre for Statistics of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa. The Statistician reports to the Chief, Statistical Development Section.
Within delegated authority, the statistician will coordinate the implementation of the Training Component of the Action Plan for Africa of the Global Strategy for Improving Agricultural and rural Statistics. More specifically, his/her responsibilities are:
- Provides training and technical assistance to African countries to enable agricultural statistics services to identify and address their priority training needs and to improve the management of their human resources;
- Assists African countries in integrating their training needs in agricultural statistics with the National Strategies for the Development of Statistics and in integrating agricultural statistics in the national statistical system in line with the recommendations of the Reference Regional Strategic Framework for Statistical capacity building in Africa and other relevant frameworks.
- Implements capacity building activities aiming at increasing the knowledge, skills, and competencies of people working in agricultural statistical services through trainings, twinning arrangements and other relevant mechanisms;
- Supports the production and adaptation of agricultural statistics training curricula for African Statistical training Centres in collaboration with FAO and AfDB; identify and implement an efficient mechanism for the management of scholarships provision for trainees and fellows in agricultural statistics;
- Assists Statistical Training Centres in upgrading their training facilities, improving access to relevant materials and harmonizing their curricula and qualifications;
- Assists in the establishment of a mechanism for accrediting courses and qualifications in agricultural statistics.
- Prepares technical reports, articles, working papers, and documents related to the Training Component of the Action Plan for Africa of the Global Strategy for Improving Agricultural and rural Statistics;
- Initiates and co-ordinates the development of appropriate methods for obtaining relevant data for the good implementation of the training component; ensure the quality of collected data for accuracy, consistency and comparability.
- Supervises and contributes to the development of relevant databases, web publishing tools and other software for collection, storage and distribution of statistical data.
- Undertakes methodological research with regard to standards on concepts, definitions and classifications in agricultural statistics to assist countries and other constituents in strengthening their statistical development.
- Develops new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analyses and projections in agricultural statistics.
- Provides guidance and advice to other departments, field experts, etc., in the planning, operation and evaluation of statistical programmes and projects that have links with agricultural statistics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Counterparts at headquarters and the regional commissions.
- Systems staff
- Counterparts from international agencies, in particular the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) and the African Development bank (AfDB), as well as national statistical offices
- Academic community, private corporations, etc.
- Achieves the goals of the Training Component of the Action Plan for Africa of the Global Strategy for Improving Agricultural and rural Statistics through the initiation, formulation and effective management of the collection, preparation, evaluation and dissemination of statistics and methodological studies; develops, recommends and implements statistical methods and procedures, providing advice, organizing seminars and training courses as well as co-ordinating and promoting the relevance of statistics.
- Knowledge of statistical programmes to analyze and evaluate complex data.
- Knowledge of agricultural statistics and the issues related to capacity building in agricultural statistics.
- Ability to formulate new strategies and technical approaches with respect to statistical development.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- uses time efficiently.
- Keeps abreast of available technology;
- understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office;
- actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks;
- shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, economics, Agro-economy or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, management and implementation of statistical capacity development programmes.
- Experience with training in statistics is required, preferably in agricultural statistics.
- Experience with agricultural statistics production at national level is a plus.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required;
- knowledge of the other is desirable.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates includes an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania