Posting Title: Special Assistant to the Executive Secretary, P3
Job Code Title: SPECIAL ASSISTANT, ADMINISTRATION
Department/ Office: Economic Commission for Africa
Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA
Posting Period: 24 February 2015-26 March 2015
Job Opening number: 15-ADM-ECA-41094-R-ADDIS ABABA (X)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES) at the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA). The incumbent works with the Executive Secretary, under the supervision of the Chief of Staff.
Within delegated authority, the Special Assistant, Office of the Executive Secretary, will be responsible for the following duties:
- Organizes daily and special briefings for the Executive Secretary.
- Conducts and coordinate the day-to-day work of the Executive Secretary by providing liaison services with all variety of clients to the OES.
- Participates in the preparation and detailed processing of substantive input/background materials required for the Executive Secretary.
- Responds to relevant substantive correspondence.
- Liaises, coordinates, analyzes and integrates substantive input from the various divisions into the work of the Executive Secretary, as required.
- Prepares aide memoirs, memoranda and other substantive documents of a broad and complex nature, in coordination with Divisions.
- Prepares briefs on specific issues to support the Executive Secretary at meetings and on missions.
- Compiles all relevant travel documents required by the Executive Secretary for missions.
- Accompanies the Executive Secretary to meetings and conferences and act as the note taker.
- Follows up on any actions resulting from the Executive Secretary’s meetings/missions attended.
- Acts as a note taker at Senior Management meetings.
- Arranges audiences, protocol, receives visitors and replies to requests for information on programmes and the role and activities of ECA and organize visits of senior officials from outside organizations, as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis.
- Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- is willing to learn from others;
- places team agenda before personal agenda;
- supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- identifies priority activities and assignments;
- adjusts priorities as required;
- allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related field, preferably in a similar function. Knowledge of the UN system is desirable.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required;
- knowledge of the other is desirable.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
Powered by Jobs Tanzania