Our Client, The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community Secretariat
SENIOR TRADE OFFICER (COMPETITION)
ORGAN: EAC Secretariat
DEPARTMENT: Internal Trade
REPORTS TO: Principal Trade Officer (Internal Trade)
To coordinate harmonization and implementation of projects and programmes related to competition policies, laws and strategies in the Community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Coordinate and facilitate the development of competition policies, strategies, systems and processes to implement the EAC Competition Act, 2006.
2. Provide technical support to the EAC Competition Authority.
3. Organize meetings of Partner States experts and Competition Authorities and follow up on recommendations.
4. Collect and collate necessary data on competition issues in the region.
5. Develop draft proposals for projects and programmes for funding in the competition policy sector.
6. Coordinate with other regional and international organisations and foreign Competition Authorities on competition matters relevant to EAC.
7. Participate in the identification of regional centers of excellence in competition policy.
8. Prepare progress and annual reports on the sector and follow up on the implementation of Council and Summit decisions related to the Sector.
9. Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the Community; and
10. Any other relevant duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
A Masters Degree in Economics, Economic Policy and Planning, Policy Management, Development Economics, Business Administration, Law or a related field. 8 years experience in handling trade and competition policy issues with 3 years at a senior level.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
Good communication and interpersonal skills, strong analytical skills, negotiation skills, networking skills, proficiency in computer applications, resource mobilisation skills, and report writing.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Five (5) years, renewable once.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Professional staff positions are tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once, while general staff positions are tenable for five (5) years renewable until mandatory retirement age of 60 years subject satisfactory conduct and performance.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System .
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective countries. Examples include: Accountants, Auditors, Engineers, Procurement Specialists, and Medical Personnel.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience. The same will apply for any experience attained before professional certification where relevant.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees. Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 6th April 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited 10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue: P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.deloitte.com
Powered by Jobs Tanzania