HJFMRI or locally known as “Walter Reed Program-Tanzania” is a United States of America
federally funded program which supports PEPFAR activities in the Republic of Tanzania, The HJFMRI program, in collaboration with the MoHCDGEC and community NGOs, has been leading a comprehensive HIV and AIDS care and support program in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania since 2004, The program, which is sub-contracting with Regional Health Management Teams (RHMTs) and 14 community outreach partners, extends to 25 district councils-in Mbeya, Songwe, Rukwa, Katavi and Ruvuma Regions, Collectively, this zone, which has one of the highest HIV prevalence rates in Tanzania, represents a catchment area with close to 6 million people (13% of the population of Tanzania mainland), Despite remarkable achievements made over the past 10 years, the expansion of HIV care and treatment interventions still remains critical both at the facility as well as the community level.
Job Vacancy: Senior Accountants – 2 Posts
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Location: Mbeya with 10% travel
This position is responsible for day to day transactional accounting operations of WRP-T programs. The Senior Accountant will serve as a point person for accounting and provide supervision, coaching and development of junior staff within the Accounting Department. He / She is responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable accounting policies and procedures, laws and regulations requirement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervises department accountant(s)
• Perform accounting activities to include financial reports, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, and other general accounting functions
• Maintain strong financial reports in compliance with organizations policies and procedure
• Responsible for GL entries and accurate recordkeeping to support entries and transactions.
• Ensures timely monthly and annual accounting close.
• Resolves accounting issues, concerns, and questions in a timely manner to ensure smooth and efficient program operations and reporting.
• Provides monthly accounting reports finance and accounting staff for review.
• Reviews vs. prepares monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts
• Trains project accounting staff on HJFMRI procedures and policies
• Assist with the preparation of financial reports for US Government, institutional funders and private donors as needed
• Respond to routine HQ accounting-related inquiries
• Provides support for internal and external audit support
• Review the completeness and accuracy of regional office and country office monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports package submissions; resolve related problems and/or provide guidance to Country Offices to resolve them as appropriate
• Maintain vendor files and related accounting records, such as leases and contracts
• Manage accounts payables, receivables, payroll, travel advances, and international wires
• Supports or leads on special projects as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
• Five years minimum accounting and/or auditing experience preferably in a nonprofit or international development environment
• 2-3 years of supervision experience in mid to large accounting department
• Knowledge of and familiarity with accounting systems/packages
• Experience managing staff
• Ability to use good judgment and professionalism; experience in decision- making
• Excellent analytical skills
• Excellent” Microsoft Excel skills and experience with Quick Books accounting software
• Experience with US government regulations a plus
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to meet communicated schedules and deadlines
• Strong skills in internal controls and accounting standards
• Ability to function effectively both autonomously and on complex/sensitive issues and projects.
• High level of professionalism, transparency, and integrity in overall production of work product.
• High standard of written and spoken English
Powered by Jobs Tanzania