Our Client, The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
PRINCIPAL HEALTH OFFICER (OPERATIONAL AND APPLIED RESEARCH)
GRADE: Professional Category P3
REPORTS TO: Deputy Executive Secretary (Research)
ORGAN/INSTITUTION: East African Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
DUTY STATION: Bujumbura, Burundi
This position is responsible for the coordination of the formulation and implementation and reporting of all Operational/Applied Research activities under the auspices of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) in collaboration with the respective EAC Partner States’ National Health Research and Academic Institutions and other Stakeholders and Partners. The position requires frequent communication and interaction with all stakeholders and partners involved and/or supporting operational and applied research within EAC Partner States and internationally such as government policy makers, health managers, health workers, health researchers and health research Institutions and professional associations in the health field and the general public within the EAC Partner States.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Liaise with the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) and the Principal Health Officer (Clinical Research) to provide technical expertise on Operational and Applied Research in support of evidence-based health policy development and analysis;
2. Interpret and facilitates health policies in partner states and translates them into systematic operational and applied research questions, which are conveyed to health researchers and other stakeholders and partners for action;
3. Develop, update, and coordinate plans and priorities in operational and applied research with regard to health policy matters, in line with the goal and mission of the Commission;
4. Recommend and advocate for new changes to existing health policies through operational and applied researches;
5. Review operational and applied research issues in all Partner States to determine the extent to which research findings have been incorporated into policy and practices;
6. Track current events, legislation and other issues of interest with a view to conducting operational and applied research, among other strategies;
7. Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research), the Governing Board of the Commission (EACHRC), the EAC Sectoral Council of Ministers of Health and/or the EAC Council of Ministers from time to time.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. A Masters degree in Health Sciences plus a postgraduate qualification in public health policy and management;
2. A post graduate qualification in operational and/or applied health research will be an added advantage;
3. Relevant working experience of at least ten (10) years in operational and applied health research or related fields with five (5) of which must at senior level.
4. Must have published at least two (2) articles in international peer review journals, with at least one (1) article as the first or lead author
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES:
1. Demonstrated knowledge of and competency in operational and applied health research, policy analysis, policy formulation, policy consultation processes and policy monitoring;
2. Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities);
3. Should have extensive and demonstrable knowledge of operational and applied research and the translation of results of health research into health policy and practice;
4. Proficiency in computer office applications and automated statistical analytical tools and/or related packages;
5. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
6. Should be fluent in the English language;
7. Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage;
8. Excellent communication and report writing skills;
9. Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
10. Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Five (5) years renewable once
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
Professional staff positions are tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once, while the general staff positions are tenable for five (5) years renewable until mandatory retirement age of 60 years subject satisfactory conduct and performance.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System .
This post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective countries. Examples include: Accountants, Auditors, Engineers, Procurement Specialists, and Medical Personnel.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE:
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience. The same will apply for any experience attained before professional certification where relevant.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees. Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 6th April 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited 10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue: P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail: email@example.com www.deloitte.com
Powered by Jobs Tanzania