Our Client, The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community Secretariat
REPORTS TO: Director Finance
ORGAN/INSTITUTION: EAC Secretariat
DUTY STATION: East African Community-Secretariat, Arusha, Tanzania
Ensure the financial resources are utilize effectively, and that all payments are made in compliance with the Financial Rules and Regulations and other directives of the Council, Summit as may be issued from time to time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Initiate the development and improvement of accounting processes, systems and control for implementation, in line with the Secretariat’s financial rules and regulations and International Accounting Standards;
2. Provide leadership and overall guidance to the Accounts staff including those of other Organs and Institutions of EAC to facilitate harmony in implementation of standard operating systems and processes in all EAC operations;
3. Implement financial decisions of the Council;
4. Facilitate maintenance of accounting records for the Community, review and submit timely and accurate analysis of periodic financial reports (monthly and quarterly), to management for decision making;
5. Monitor and analyze status of obligations and expenditures and ensure that payments are disbursed in accordance with the set regulations;
6. Monitor daily financial utilization and ensure availability of sufficient cash in the bank accounts to meet EAC’s financial obligations at all times;
7. Monitor and verify financial statements and ensure bank monthly reconciliations are completed for all EAC bank accounts;
8. Keep custody of cash receipt vouchers, cheques and other accountable documents established for payment;
9. Prepare annual consolidated financial statements for purposes of audit;
10. Provide authoritative advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to EAC financial Rules and Regulations;
11. Maintain Partner States contribution records, prepare and submit quarterly demand note for contributions to Partner States and follow up on their outstanding contributions;
12. Co-ordinate external audits and facilitate harmonization of EAC audit responses to external auditors;
13. Co-ordinate implementation of directives issues by the Council on audit observations;
14. Monitor and ensure effective operation of monthly payroll, accurate calculations are done and staff payments made on due dates;
15. Follow-up the usage of funds and ensure compliance to the rules and regulations governing Donor funds;
16. Facilitate submission of quarterly financial reports to the Donors, including the provision of any other information required from time to time;
17. Identify training needs for Accounts Staff within the Community and liaise with Human Resources department to prepare training programmes bases on the needs identified;
18. Negotiate bank commission rates and fixed deposit interest rates and fixed deposits interest rates and recommend reputable banks for the Community to deposit funds;
19. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by Management.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
(i) A Master’s degree or MBA in Finance and/or Accounting;
(ii) Certified Public Accountant: CPA (T), CPA (K), ACCA or equivalent;
iii) Minimum 10 years post qualification relevant experience with 5 years at senior position, preferably in International Organization or Regional Organization;
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate should demonstrate good leadership, planning, interpersonal communication, and report writing skills; must be a team player and must prove proficiency in application of spreadsheet and database accounting, including the use of Sun Accounting Software.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Five (5) years, renewable once.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Professional staff positions are tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once, while general staff positions are tenable for five (5) years renewable until mandatory retirement age of 60 years subject satisfactory conduct and performance.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System .
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective countries. Examples include: Accountants, Auditors, Engineers, Procurement Specialists, and Medical Personnel.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience. The same will apply for any experience attained before professional certification where relevant.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees. Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 6th April 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited 10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue: P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania Fax +255(22) 2116379
Powered by Jobs Tanzania