Organization: International Organization for Migration
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 19 Nov 2017
Position Title : Head of Sub-Office
Duty Station : Kigoma, Tanzania
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 19 November 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Tanzania, and in close coordination with the Resource Management Officer (RMO) and relevant units in the Country Office (CO), the successful candidate will be responsible for managing, coordinating and implementing IOM activities and programmes in the Kigoma region. S/he will plan and supervise IOM operational activities for the United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), Burundi influx response and organize logistics and procurement activities for the sub office, satellite offices and transit centre, as well as manage the related budgetary, financial and administrative functions of the sub-office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage the operational, human resources, administrative, budgetary and financial activities of IOM Sub-office in Kigoma, satellite offices in Kasulu, Makere and Kibondo, in line with IOM’s rules and procedures, and in close coordination with relevant units at the IOM main office in Dar es Salaam.
Develop and maintain strong working relationships with governmental authorities (RC, RAS, DC, MHA and Immigration) and programmatic partners including the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Resettlement Support Center (RSC) Africa, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and other concerned agencies with the objective of promoting IOM interest and smoothly implementing project activities including USRAP related activities.
Supervise all arrangements and operations in the Makere Processing Center and ensure operations run smoothly particularly during circuit rides and external visits.
Conduct site visits to the refugee camps and IOM satellite offices and liaise with partner organizations to resolve problems and improve processing and programmatic activities.
Prepare regular and timely updates on USRAP and programmatic activities in the Western region on operations, programme achievements, and challenges for the Chief of Mission office. Provide recommendations and solutions to challenges as needed to the CO.
Represent IOM at stakeholder and inter-agency meetings, donor visits and governmental meetings in Kigoma region. Keep abreast of all assessments, reports and other relevant materials.
Guide and advise the Emergency Coordinator and satellite office in Kibondo in close collaboration with Head of Programmes in Dar es Salaam. Ensure tracking mechanism and statistics for Burundi inflow are being followed and updated daily.
Ensure compliance of the sub-office with IOM administrative and financial regulations and established procedures including preparation of annual sub-office budget, budget control processes, human resources functions, procurement and logistics services, and other internal control mechanisms to safeguard mission’s assets.
Act as the security focal point for IOM staff in the Kigoma region, attend Area Security Coordination Meetings with UN Partners, and ensure all IOM facilities and official residences are MOSS and MORSS compliant.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political/Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in conducting USRAP resettlement activities;
• Experience in working with transport providers, governmental and diplomatic authorities and international organizations;
• Experience in organizing the ground/air movement of refugees, particularly in remote locations;
• Knowledge of asset /material management processes and procedures (PRISM);
• Knowledge of IOM movement management standards and regulations.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Swahili is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 November 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 06.11.2017 to 19.11.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/241 (P) – Head of Sub-Office (P3) – Kigoma, Tanzania (55231260) Released
Posting: Posting NC55231265 (55231265) Released up
Powered by Jobs Tanzania