Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 10 Nov 2017
We’re looking for a Component Lead, Market Data & Skills Alignment (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Skills for Employment Tanzania (SET) is a planned multi-phase vocational skills development project to be funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). SET aims to improve prospects of gainful youth employment and self-employment by improving relevance, quality, and access to vocational skills development. Through a market systems facilitation approach, the project’s focus will be on supporting and leveraging existing Tanzanian institutions to expand and adapt their services in order to address the needs and demands of both youth and the economy. An inception phase is estimated to run February to March 2018, followed by a four-year implementation phase, valued at $6.1 million.
This Component Lead will drive strategy development and execution for activities that seek to increase the labor market relevance of youth’s vocational skills. S/he will be responsible for Outcome 1: Enhanced responsiveness, dynamism, and demand orientation of Tanzanian skills development system improve its labor market relevance.
As Component Lead for Market Data & Skills Alignment you will:
- Provide technical leadership over activities that use a facilitative approach to increase labor market relevance of vocational skills development for rural Tanzanian youth, contributing to the project’s overall goal of improved prospects for gainful employment and self-employment for female and male youth.
- Oversee regular analysis and dissemination of updated data on economic trends and their implications for skills demand, ensuring ease of use and utility for skills stakeholders.
- Build capacity of and support skills stakeholders to digest and apply data in order to identify and prioritize vocational skills development in areas with sufficient absorption capacity and enhance the market relevance of skills provision.
- Support coordination between public and private stakeholders, with the aim to develop synergies among actors and conditions for the improved market relevance of vocational skills development.
- Collaborate with monitoring and results management colleagues to ensure rigorous data collection, analysis, and incorporation of learnings for adaptive management.
- Understand all gender integration requirements (donor as well as internal to TechnoServe) and ensure that activities reflect the project’s gender strategy
Please note this position is contingent upon donor funding.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in business, international development, economics, public policy, education, agricultural economics, or other relevant fields. Preference for a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible, relevant professional experience, including experience in vocational skills development, youth employment, education, research, and the private sector.
- Proven experience implementing programs or portfolios of similar size, scope, and complexity.
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and in using evidence for steering.
- High level of analytical skills with demonstrated experience conducting robust market and other data analyses, with an ability to construct a basic business case.
- Proven track record in supporting local partners’ development, capacity building, and organizational strengthening.
- Prior experience applying market systems and facilitation approaches highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to successfully cultivate and manage relationships with the diverse public, private, and civil sector stakeholders.
- Prior professional experience working in Tanzania, with a good local and regional network.
- Familiarity with good practice in monitoring and results measurement approaches.
- Working proficiency in both English and Swahili required.
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas, and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates an open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
Internal and External Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the organization’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
Managerial Competencies include:
- Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
- Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, and see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
Feedback/Coaching (mentoring): managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Program Manager.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a non-returnable single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history with the subject “Component Lead, Market Data & Skills Alignment.” The final deadline for application is November 10, 2017.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Women are encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=SGVydHkuOTAzNTcuMzgzMEB0ZWNobm9zZXJ2ZS5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Powered by Jobs Tanzania