Organization: Asylum Access
Country: Malaysia, United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date:02 Apr 2015
Program Associate – International Refugee Rights, Legal Services, and Community Education
- Are you looking to join a dynamic, growing global team of human rights lawyers and advocates?
- Are you a lawyer with strong knowledge of international refugee and/or human rights law?
- Do you enjoy research, writing, and developing usable legal services, community education, and policy advocacy tools?
- Do you seek to develop and exercise your program leadership skills while simultaneously jumping in to support vital administrative needs?
- Are you a self-starter, skilled communicator, collaborator, and problem-solver? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment?
- Do you enjoy engaging with the global community and tackling the unexpected?
- Are you both self-motivated and team-focused?
If so, we are looking for you!
Asylum Access, an innovative, international human rights nonprofit, is looking to hire a full-time Program Associate for a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal**. The Program Associate will provide special project, program support, and research and analysis to the Legal Services and Community Legal Empowerment global programs teams.**
This position will work closely with headquarters to provide support to the Asylum Access global team and will be based out of one of Asylum Access’s in-country offices: the Asylum Access Malaysia office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the Asylum Access Tanzania office in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, or the Asylum Access Ecuador office in Quito, Ecuador.
Roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as program liaison with overseas Legal Services and Community Legal Empowerment teams to identify areas of support and update HQ Leadership Team on Legal Services program progress
- Coordinate identification of and connection to resources, information and support for overseas in-country program implementation
- Develop legal services and community legal empowerment tools for internal use and for publishing in the Refugee Rights Toolkit, such as the development of legal services management, monitoring and evaluation tools
- Create an organizational Child Protection Policy through research, writing, and ongoing communication with overseas teams and external experts
- Research and draft best practice proposal papers and training materials on refugee livelihoods, child protection, and community leadership and participatory action to improve specialization in overseas offices
- Support the development of an international refugee law ethics system and guidelines for refugee lawyers at Asylum Access and within international networks
- Facilitate conference calls with external experts and organizational staff and volunteers for training and advising purposes
- Research trends in global migration specific to regions of Asylum Access operation, including Central America and South Asia, identify specific push and pull factors, and develop proposals for legal strategies in asylum applications
- Law degree with focus and/or background in international human rights law and refugee issues
- Demonstrated experience leading or managing individualized legal services practice and community education
- An understanding of and experience with working in international and/or U.S-based immigration and refugee contexts
- Strong research, writing, and communication skills
- Strong cross-cultural understanding and communication skills
- Strong initiative and ability to take ownership of projects, manage multiple deadlines, and work effectively with a high attention to detail
- Spanish language skills are an asset
- Flexibility to work off hours to participate in international conference calls and meetings
How to apply:
How to apply:
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample to Amalia Greenberg Delgado at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading of “Program Associate Application.” Please also note where you learned about the position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, as we are seeking an immediate hire. We encourage interested and qualified candidates to apply as soon as possible.
Locally competitive nonprofit salary and benefits package, which includes generous time off policies.
Please no phone calls or visits. Due to the high number of applications only those candidates invited to interview will be contacted.