Our Client, The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
GRADE: Professional Category D1
REPORTS TO: Board of East African Community Health Research
ORGAN/INSTITUTION: East African Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
DUTY STATION: Bujumbura, Burundi
The Executive Secretary (ES) will be the Chief Executive Officer of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC) who will provide leadership and guidance in the realization and implementation of the vision, mission, goals, and operational objectives of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC). He/She will be responsible for the overall general day-to-day operations and various projects and programmes of the Commission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for the overall management of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC), in fulfilling its mandate as provided for in the EACHRC Protocol and EACHRC Act;
2. Implement the work of the Commission in accordance with the policy and decisions of the Governing Board and the Council;
3. Act as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Accounting Officer of the Commission;
4. Be the Secretary of the Governing Board of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC);
5. Guide the formulation and establishment various initiatives, projects, and programmes of the Commission at both regional and national levels in all the EAC Partner States;
6. Coordinate policy formulation on sustainable development and management of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC);
7. Coordinate Resource Mobilization for the various Programs and Projects of the of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC);
8. Initiate and oversee the implementation of the strategic framework of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC);
9. Coordinate and implement the Partnership Agreements between the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) and Development Partners;
10. Develop work plans, budgets and monitoring Programmes for the work of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC);
11. Promote operational linkages with other similar regional and international agencies and institutions;
12. Initiate studies and research related to the implementation of programs for the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC);
13. Guide the formulation and establishment various initiatives, projects, and programmes of the Commission at both regional and national levels in all the EAC Partner States;
14. Jointly with the Deputy Executive Secretary (Finance and Administration) and the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) provide guidance and technical support to the EAC Sectoral Council of Ministers of Health on matters concerning the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) and take appropriate follow up actions as decided or directed by the EAC Sectoral Council of Ministers of Health;
15. Promote a positive corporate image of the East African Community in general and of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) in particular;
16. Perform any other functions and responsibilities as are conferred by the Protocol and Act on the establishment of the Commission or as may be assigned by the Governing Board of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC), the EAC Sectoral Council of Ministers of Health and the EAC Council of Ministers from time to time;
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
A Masters Degree in Health Sciences or its equivalent plus a postgraduate qualification in public health policy analysis and management. A PhD in Medical or Health research will be an added advantage.
1. A minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant working experience in health research, policy and management fields, eight (8) of which must have been in a senior management position at national, regional or international level.
2. Experience in resource mobilization with promotional and advocacy skills.
3. Must have published widely relevant articles in international peer review Journals.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES:
1. Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities)
2. Demonstrable competency in public health systems development, management and institution building at national, regional and/or international level;
3. Proficiency in computer office applications and automated statistical analytical tools and/or related packages;
4. Excellent interpersonal skills ;
5. Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
6. Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines;
7. Should be fluent in the English language;
8. Excellent communication and report writing skills;
9. Working knowledge of French and Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Five (5) years non-renewable
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
The post of Executive Secretary is tenable for a contract of five (5) years none-renewable. This position is subject to the application of the Quota System .
This post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective countries. Examples include: Accountants, Auditors, Engineers, Procurement Specialists, and Medical Personnel.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience. The same will apply for any experience attained before professional certification where relevant.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees. Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 6th April 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited 10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue: P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.deloitte.com
Powered by Jobs Tanzania