Reporting to the Commissioner General, the incumbent shall be responsible for providing strategic leadership to the department and advice Management and the Board on all legal matters. The job holder will also be responsible for providing secretarial services to the Board.
The key responsibilities of the position will include:
- Ensuring proper business conduct at the Board meetings and providing the Board with legal advice and opinion on matters as may be required;
- Arranging all meetings of the Board and its Committees in consultation of the Board Chairperson;
- Coordinating and recommending policies and strategies necessary for TRA to undertake its legal mandate in tax administration and ensuring efficient and effective enforcement of legislations administered by TRA;
- Advising the Management on the proper interpretation and application of laws and on all agreements and matters in relation to functions of TRA;
- Coordinating the delivery of legal advice, opinions, resolution of tax objections, and issuance of rulings under revenue laws through effective utilisation of staff and resources and allocation of work in accordance with agreed performance criteria;
- Ensuring a consistent review of statutes administered by TRA for purpose of effective and efficient tax administration and corporate governance;
- Coordinating issuance of directives and guidance on drafting of legal instruments, tax treaties, contracts, conveyance deeds, and ensure proper custody of the Authority’s legal documents and seals of the Authority;
- Coordinating with relevant Government and quasi-governmental organisations on all legal matters related to tax administration and tax legislations administered by TRA;
- Controlling and directing tax exemptions and ensure existence of appropriate systems, strategies, plans, policies and guidelines on effective administration of tax exemptions and counter measures on abuse of tax exemptions including detection of abuse and recovery of involved revenue.
- Coordinating activities on court cases related to TRA and initiating work policies, guidelines and directives on pro-active approach to potential legal disputes and implement alternative methods to resolve court disputes;
- Providing strategic leadership and ensuring that the department processes, operations and practices are in keeping with the Authority Management Systems requirement that includes ISO, Gemba Kaizen, Enterprise Wide Risk Management and Business Continuity;
- Perform other relevant duties assigned by supervisor.
Key qualifications, experience and competences:
- Bachelor Degree in Law or its equivalent from a recognised University/Higher Learning Institution;
- Masters’ Degree in Law or its equivalent from a recognised University/Higher Learning Institution;
- An advocate registered in Tanzania or with a permission from the Chief Justice to practise law as an advocate in Tanzania;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Taxation or Customs or Management or Planning or its equivalent from a recognised institution will be an added advantage.
- Ten (10) years of relevant work experience five (5) of which must be in a managerial position
- Knowledge of local, regional and international tax matters and tax laws;
- Excellent analytical and budgeting skills;
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop team work;
- Demonstrated ability to manage change in a reputable large size organisation;
- Effective communication skills coupled with the ability to effectively network with stakeholders.
If you believe you are the right candidate for any of the above positions, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three (3) referees to the address below. Kindly quote the Reference Number in your application letter.
The Authority reserves the right not to make any appointments as a result of the selection process. An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the role will be offered to the successful candidate.
All applications should be submitted to the address below not later than 15.00 hrs on 25th March 2015.
THE COMMISSIONER GENERAL,
TANZANIA REVENUE AUTHORITY,
P. O. BOX 11491,
DAR ES SALAAM.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania