Our Client, The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
DEPUTY EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (RESEARCH)
GRADE: Professional Category P5
REPORTS TO: Executive Secretary of the East African Community
Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
ORGAN/INSTITUTION: East African Community Health Research Commission
DUTY STATION: Bujumbura, Burundi
The Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) will be the Principal Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC) who will be responsible for coordinating and leading the design and implementation of regional health research agenda and priorities in accordance with the vision, mission, goals, operational objectives and the corresponding strategies and plans within the overall legal and institutional framework of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC). He/She will be responsible for the general coordination of the health research operations and formulation of various projects and programmes of the Commission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Coordinate the formulation and establishment various initiatives, projects, and programmes of the Commission at both regional and national levels in all the EAC Partner States;
2. Assist the Executive Secretary in providing an oversight role in coordinating the various regional projects, programs and initiatives of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC);
3. Initiate and coordinate the process of harmonization of policies, laws, regulations and standards with specific relevance to the legal mandate and functions of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC);
4. Coordinate the development and implementation of systems for monitoring and evaluation and monitoring of compliance with the set objectives and outputs of the various regional projects, programs and initiatives of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC);
5. Promote technical capacity building, institutional development and health research in the
6. Liaise with Partner States for the coordination and implementation of the various regional projects, programs and initiatives of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC);
7. Supervise and coordinate the formulation and implementation of the annual work plans and budgets of the various regional projects, programs and initiatives of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EAHRC);
8. Promote the establishment and operationalization of regional health research centers of excellence as may be approved by the EAC Council of Ministers from time to time;
9. Establish and coordinate the implementation of common ethical guidelines and practices for health research and its application in the community;
10. Promote and support the dissemination, exchange and utilization of evidence-based health research findings and scientific information in the Partner States.
11. Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Executive Secretary, the Governing Board of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC), the EAC Sectoral Council of Ministers of Health and/or the EAC Council of Ministers from time to time;
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. A Master’s Degree in Health Sciences or its equivalent plus a post graduate qualification in Health Research. A relevant PHD will be an added advantage;
2. A minimum of fifteen (15) years experience in health research and/or public health policy analysis, eight (8) of which must have been in a senior management position at national, regional or international level;
3. Must have published widely relevant articles in international peer review journals.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES:
1. Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities);
2. Should have extensive and demonstrable knowledge of health research and the translation of results of health research into health policy and practice;
3. Demonstrable competency in public health systems development, management and institution building at national, regional and/or international level;
4. Proficiency in computer office applications and automated statistical analytical tools and/or related packages;
5. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills ;
6. Should be fluent in the English language;
7. Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage;
8. Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
9. Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Three (3) years, renewable once
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
The position of Deputy Executive Secretary is for a contract of three (3) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
This post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective countries. Examples include: Accountants, Auditors, Engineers, Procurement Specialists, and Medical Personnel.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience. The same will apply for any experience attained before professional certification where relevant.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees. Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 6th April 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited 10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue: P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org www.deloitte.com
Powered by Jobs Tanzania