TITLE: Deputy Country Representative and Head of Programs
REPORTS TO: Country Representative
DUTY STATION: Dar es Salaam
Engender Health’s vision is Women and Girls First. The vision is underpinned by the mission, namely catalyzing the value of women and girls by harnessing the power of sexual and reproductive rights and health. EngenderHealth is a leading global women’s health organization committed to ensuring that every pregnancy is planned, every child is wanted, and every mother has the best chance at survival.
The Deputy Country Representative (DCR)and Head of Programs works closely with the Country Representative (CR) and represents and acts on behalf of the CR when the incumbent is unavailable. S/he shares responsibility for representation and leadership of all EngenderHealth activities under Tanzania Country Program. S/he contributes significantly to the vision and strategy of the country program, identify funding opportunities and support new business development, oversee country projects implementation and quality assurance, guide and lead project teams, and manage the critical relationships with government, donors and other partners.
S/he works closely with the CR, the Tanzania Country Office Finance and Operations, Human Resource, and Monitoring and Evaluation units and other program managers to ensure overall program, managerial, and fiscal responsibility for the country’s program portfolio, including achieving program results, financial management and reporting, and ensuring compliance with all EH and donors’ contractual matters and other applicable laws and regulations of the country.
S/he will ensure compliance with MOH, Donor and EngenderHealth medical/clinical/ technical standards and guidelines, provide overall technical direction and strategic guidance for developing technical strategies, build the capacity and ensure program/technical staff have the capacity to implement the portfolio for program activities. S/he serves as Programme Management Adviser to the Country Representative, supervises and provides technical and managerial support to country technical/program managers and cross-functional program staff as assigned and on behalf of the CR when acting in that capacity.
Country Leadership and Representation (10%)
- In collaboration with the CR and Country Management Team (CMT), contribute substantively to development of country priorities and a country program strategy and ensure consistency with EngenderHealth’s (EH) overall agency mission, goals, and strategic plans.
- Together with the CR and other CMT, develop, co-lead implementation of the EH Tanzania Country Strategy, including reporting to HQ on progress.
- Participate activity in regular portfolio reviews of country projects and ensure consistency across projects with EngenderHealth’s (EH) SEED Model and supporting management and technical approaches and tools.
- Under the guidance of the CR, liaise with key stakeholders, and help establish and maintain strategic partnerships with the Tanzania Government Ministries, international donor agencies, as well as national and international NGOs and represent Country Program during meetings with partners and donors.
- Help in identifying sustainable program models based on local governance laws and practices and contribute significantly to the piloting and introduction of most appropriate model(s).
- Assist the CR in ensuring coordination with other projects and collaborative agencies in the sexual and reproductive health and rights sector in Tanzania.
Business Development: (10%)
- Contribute to regular scans of funding environment, identify donors interested in country program’s sexual and reproductive health and rights priorities, develop and cultivate relationships with potential donors, and support CR in providing ongoing updates to the Business Development team regarding potential funding opportunities.
- Collaborate with CR and HQ resources mobilization team to develop innovative approaches to resource mobilization and provide appropriate strategic input to grow and maintain a strong integrated country program.
- Collaborate with the CR and HQ resources mobilization team to oversee the development of new business proposals to ensure sustainability of the Country Program.
Program Management: (80%)
- Provide technical leadership and program management oversight for existing country program activities, link clinical/technical expertise and program management support with critical country needs and ensure the overall achievement of the goals and objectives of the country program.
- With CR, co-lead the development, successful implementation, and monitoring of program/project strategies and work plans in close coordination with donor, government departments, program/technical staff, and other stakeholders at national and regional levels.
- Provide oversight, guidance and leadership to all aspects of program implementation, including ensuing timely reporting, compliance and quality utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into program implementation
- Under the guidance of CR, lead the development of yearly and periodic program/project work plan and budget and ensure effective coordination, timely and quality implementation and monitoring of program/project activities to meet deliverables in accordance with standards, time line, and budget utilizing routine monitoring and feedback into program implementation
- Work with the Head of Finance and Operations (HFO) to ensure existence of effective program budget monitoring mechanism for timely and efficient budget utilization.
- Work with the Fields/Projects Managers, provide oversight to the performance of programs and facilitate timely programmatic/technical backstopping.
- Oversee the coordination of sub-grantee’s programmatic/technical assistance needs and monitor their performance to expected standard and progress to meeting organizational targets and goals.
- Oversee accurate preparation and timely submission of quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports as well as interim status (as required) programmatic reports to HQ, Donors, and Government.
- Support and coordinate the development and implementation of clinical/technical orientation and professional development for program/technical staff, Short term technical assistance/STTA resources, and partners to build country institutional expertise and capacity in quality programming.
- Work in close coordination with Country Technical Team and Headquarters Global Technical Leadership team to identify lessons learned, synthesize document, and disseminate clinical and technical best practices, and develop strategies to take best and/or new high impact practices to scale in-country and support replication in other countries.
- Work in coordination with Country M,E,&R Manager, the Headquarters M,E,&R and Global Program management team to provide strategic guidance and input for monitoring, evaluation and research activities including ensuring compliance with EngenderHealth and donor policies, standards, and practices.
- Support and work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Program Quality department to ensure the implementation of effective and participatory program Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning strategies at all levels of country Program.
- Work with the Country technical team and carry out an in-depth analysis of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights’ (SRHR) context, trends, gaps, challenges and opportunities
- Foster synergies between program areas (integrated approach), support the strong integration of SRHR initiatives that aim towards meeting SP2020, FP2020 and various Sustainable Development Goals
- Assist the CR in representing the country program at scientific meetings, other technical meetings, on scientific and programmatic panels and in discussions with government counterparts, USG departments, private foundations, multilaterals, and other implementing agencies in coordinating their participation in project development and implementation.
- Provide leadership in the documentation and communication of scientific (clinical, quality improvement and programmatic) findings in peer-reviewed publications and reports and present country program’s work at scientific and technical conferences and for other external audiences.
- Ensuring program /technical staff maintains effective and collaborative working relationship with diverse stakeholders, including in-country partners, local and international NGOs, local governments and sponsors. Advocate about Tanzania’s program with government, donors, implementing partners, private sector in various fora.
- Assist the CR in establishing and maintaining collaborative and high performing team and a good working environment.
- Assist the CR in human resource management and oversee, administer, supervise and manage performance of all program/technical staff in accordance with local statutory requirements and EngenderHealth procedures.
- Proactively contribute to effective and efficient use of resources across projects including effective and transparent budget follow up, and management of start-up and close-out of projects.
- Closely work with the HFO to coordinate finance, operation and logistic support to programs/projects and as required, contribute to and support effective implementation of Finance and Operation systems.
- Ensure adherence to EngenderHealth (EH) operational procedures and compliance with the EH’s SOPs and reporting.
- Assist the CR in ensuring close coordination between country projects’ and HQ-based Program Management, Global Technical Leadership, and Operations staff to ensure timely implementation of country projects.
- Carry out other duties as appropriate and as assigned by the country representative and EngenderHealth.
Education, Experience and Certifications:
- Post graduate/ graduate in Public Health, Health Management, Development or relevant branch of social sciences.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of RH/ FP and experience in the design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of FP and other SRHR programs in Tanzania/Africa.
- 10-15 years’ programmatic and technical experience of implementing service delivery/systems strengthening projects in the areas of FP/SRHR.
- Experience in integrated approaches to quality health service delivery in the public sector and/or with private sector networks, including gender equity and community engagement for health is a plus.
- Substantial experience in designing, implementing, and conducting large scale programs and translating evidence into policies, programs, and services for improved FP and SRH with attention to ensuring project deliverables are met successfully and time.
- Demonstrated experience in management of sub-awards to local partners.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership in working and collaborating with a wide range of partners including state officials from the public, private commercial, NGO partners and international donor agencies.
- Proven capacity to oversee development/implementation of work plans, monitoring and evaluation activities, and reports.
- Demonstrated record of successes in writing successful grant proposals.
- Outstanding ability to interact with experts and collaborators across multiple disciplines, program areas, and cultures.
- Ability to support a diverse portfolio of program activities within a complex organizational framework and ability to work in high pressure environment with constantly changing proprieties and deadlines.
- Ability to lead, manage and mentor with excellent interpersonal skills
- Capable of directing and managing change, and inspiring teamwork and high-performing teams.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills including written and oral communications in English.
- Computer literate, with knowledge of Windows applications, including Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with National Governments, International and National NGO partners and a variety of working with and coordinating with a variety of donors including USAID, DFID, EU and Private Donors
- Challenge the Status Quo – Analyzes structure, systems and processes; searches for opportunities by seeking innovative ways to change, grow and improve EngenderHealth’s programming and the organization. Seeks new solutions to enhance program effectiveness and strengthen the organizational structure to support program synergies. Reaches agreement with senior management.
- Entrepreneurship – Keeps up to date with trends in the field; identifies opportunities for advancing EngenderHealth’s mission. Maintains awareness of developments in the donor environment and identifies new and emerging markets; cultivates new funding opportunities and strategic partnerships. Strengthens the project/program and prepares for ongoing program development.
- Political Savvy – Recognizes the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization. Perceives organizational and political reality and acts accordingly.
- Strategic Thinking – Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization in a global environment. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks.
- Vision – Takes long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for change. Inspires others to translate vision into action.
- Align and maintain country vision with the vision, mission, principles, and values of EngenderHealth.
- Develop and implement program approaches to influence on-going stakeholder engagement and commitment.
- Envision the desired future state of the program and shape and sustain the program business case.
- Develop appropriate systems and process to ensure synergies across projects within the country & region program portfolio.
- Orchestrate attainment of value for money by monitoring and reporting to donors based on defined benefits.
- Identify, analyze and address potential risks based on risk management approach.
- Manage project implementation to ensure compliance with donor and EngenderHealth rules, regulations, and standard operating procedures.
- Review expected results in collaborative agreements, address variances, and ensure agreements reflect current priorities and needs.
Please visit the careers page at www.engenderhealth.org to submit your application online by 30th October 2017.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania