DIRECTORATE: Fundraising and Communications
Position: Communications Advisor – Africa
Location: Johannesburg, Nairobi(ONLY)
Salary: R 538 989 per annum; £36 035 (International Grade D)
Local salary scales and terms and conditions will apply were applicable
Are you looking for a chance to be part of an organization that supports communities to realize their rights? Do you long to see power really in the hands of rights holders? If you are outraged with the injustice, ready to interrupt the status quo, read on…
ActionAid International is looking for a dynamic, established, strategic thinker communications specialist with exceptional all-round communications skills, excellent networking and interpersonal skills to help drive the organization deliver its people action to end poverty strategy. Our ideal candidate will bring deep communications expertise in the planning and delivery of communication initiatives. In particular the Communications Advisor will act as a key relationship interface with both ActionAid external and internal key stakeholders and with other functions within the organization to enable our communications activities to be targeted, influential and effective.
Purpose of the Role:
As a senior specialist and member of the communications team the Communication Advisor (CA) is responsible for supporting members of the ActionAid federation in the planning and delivery of communication initiatives that can have a significant impact on the success of global AAI strategy. In particular acting as a key relationship interface with both ActionAid external and internal key stakeholders and with other functions within the organisation to enable our communications activities to be effective and efficient.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Utilising category specific knowledge and experience lead on development of communications initiatives that will have multiple benefits for the federation, through successful implementation at a national or multinational level, then repurposing, for use more broadly across the federation
- Support the development and collection of case studies for priority issues as agreed in the content plan or prioritised due to opportunities
- Develop key skills to ensure quality content can be created: e.g. photography, interview techniques, writing, fact checking; video
- Support the Communications Team to create shared learning tools and knowledge assets to support communications competency development
- Provide strategic communications support and direction to country programmes, affiliates and associates (prioritise support on potential for influence, income or opportunities) and AAI teams so that they can achieve their communications objectives better and more cost- effectively
- Provide training, the provision of targeted capacity building to communications staff and Country Directors, skilling up country programme and affiliate staff so better and more effective communications work happen in country
- As deployed by the Head Communications manage reputational risks through directly producing communications outputs and/or liaison and coordination between countries as needed
- With support from the Communication Team, work with campaign project teams to develop communication strategies and plans
- Ensure communications plans for international objectives are integrated and linked to national communications plans and activities
- Participate as a senior member of the Communications Teams, attending team meetings and providing advice and support to fellow team members and other core working groups
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders within the ActionAid community
- Keep abreast of social, communications and fundraising trends and network with appropriate external organizations to inform thinking
Desired Skills & Experience
The successful candidate will have:
- A Bachelors is essential (social science/arts/humanities degree) and a Master is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, ability to inform and engage through written communication
- Substantial experience working within a communications team
- Training / coaching experience
- Regional expertise in a communications role for at least five years
- Able to manage self and others in order to meet tight deadlines and multiple priorities
- Technical expert with significant experience in more than two of the following specialisms: media relations, brand and reputation management, digital communications, campaigning and mobilising citizen engagement, publication development, content production
Applications should be sent with your CV, motivation cover letter by no later than 6th April 2015. You are requested to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the criteria for this role. Please clearly indicate which position you are applying for in the subject of the email .
External Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to high volumes of applications received, we can only correspond with short listed applicants. Should you not have received feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. ActionAid International will not consider candidates from recruitment agencies. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
ActionAid International promotes diversity and welcomes applications from all section of the community especially females.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania