Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children seeks a Livelihoods Advisor for the anticipated USAID-funded Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania. The Livelihoods Advisor will be responsible for the technical leadership designing and implementing strategies, programs or tools in livelihoods technical areas critical to affect nutritional change and increase household dietary diversity at household level, including adaptation for different regional contexts of Tanzania. The Advisor will provide technical advice based upon expertise and knowledge of evidence-based methods and strategies, current practice, and established operational and research standards to ensure quality and rigorous design. In addition, s/he will build capacity in country with field staff, and will continuously assess current technical, M&E, managerial and operational efficiencies at the program level as appropriate.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Government of Tanzania priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Dodoma, Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, Kigoma and Dar es Salaam and we work through partners in other parts of the country. We employ nearly 100 staff and have an annual operating budget of approximately $12 million.
Reports to: Chief of Party
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Provide senior-level technical support for the overall integrated, cross-cutting strategic approach of the project including livelihoods, nutrition, food security, gender mainstreaming, and SBCC.
- Lead the overall implementation of the integrated nutrition sensitive livelihoods activities in collaboration with project implementing partners and relevant line ministries.
- Ensure strong multi sectoral coordination and engagement of the relevant ministries during implementation as well as the private sector
- Represent SC in agriculture/livelihood technical working groups
- Oversee and facilitate capacity building and mentorship initiatives with the project team, local government and program partners during project implementation
- Provides guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate technical standards and guidelines and that programs are technically sound.
- Evaluate project development to ensure design is sound and based upon evidence- based practice.
- Provide technical leadership by staying current of evolving global and regional standards, guidelines, and program developments in nutrition sensitive livelihoods and agriculture.
- Responsible for leading the learning agenda under this component, sharing best practices in their field of expertise and contribute to the knowledge base through participation in scientific forums and technical networks
- Coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, such as; the Ministry of Agriculture, district agriculture staff, several international and national development partner organizations, and the USAID mission in order to complete work.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, agriculture, community development or social protection required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience in a leadership position responsible for developing livelihood interventions and the technical aspects related to the proposed strategy, including training in livelihoods and the household economic approach (HEA) to assessing malnutrition and poverty
- Experience in projects promoting livelihoods interventions.
- Understanding of child labor issues, including youth employment and improving household nutritional outcomes.
- Experience working successfully with government agencies and private organizations engaged in promoting improved livelihoods for households and the provision of social protection services.
- Experience working with employers’ organizations, trade unions or other civil society organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa; work experience in Tanzania highly desirable.
Qualified Tanzanian nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Contract – Full-Time
Closing date: Sunday 18 March 2018
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified
Job Opportunities at Save the Children Tanzania
Powered by Jobs Tanzania