Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 10 Nov 2017
We’re looking for a Team Leader (Tanzania)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe is recruiting for a planned vocational skills development in Tanzania. The project will improve access to agricultural skills and the relevance and quality of vocational skills development to improve youth employment and self-employment opportunities. Through a market systems facilitation approach, the project will support existing Tanzanian institutions to tailor their offerings in order to meet youth’s needs and market demand.
As Team Leader you will:
Provide technical leadership to activities that improve the vocational skills development market system, contributing the project’s overall goal of improved employment and self-employment for youth.
Drive overall strategy and implementation for a facilitative approach that will build the capacity of market actors and improve coordination between them. Strategies will be gender-sensitive, informed by robust market analyses, and seek to catalyze market system actors to adopt new behaviors that support system change.
Oversee project teams and provide overall project management.
Lead coordination with a diverse set of stakeholders, including government, private sector, and donors.
Collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation team to ensure rigorous data collection, analysis, and incorporation of learnings for adaptive management.
Participate in project steering committee and lead close coordination with the funder, including ensuring timely and accurate reporting on project activities.
Understand all gender integration requirements (donor as well as internal to TechnoServe)
Review gender targets and progress and make suggestions for course correction to country and program leadership, as necessary
Please note this position is contingent upon donor funding.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or equivalent in business, international development, economics, public policy, education, agricultural economics, or other relevant field is highly desired. A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in an international development context, including experience in vocational skills development, youth employment, agriculture, education, private enterprise development, and/or organizational capacity development.Proven experience in team and program management for programs of similar size, scope, and complexity.
- Prior experience applying market systems and facilitation approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage challenging projects involving the diverse public, private, and civil sector stakeholders.
- High level of analytical skills with the ability to construct a basic business case.
- Excellent management, leadership, and communication skills.
- Prior professional experience working in Africa, preferably in Tanzania, with a good local and regional network.
- Familiarity with good practice in monitoring and results measurement approaches; familiarity with the standard of the Donor Committee for Enterprise Development is an added advantage.
- Fluent in written and spoken English; fluency in Swahili is an added advantage
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas, and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates an open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
Staff Development: managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
Trust to Delegate: managers should have trust and willingness to assign responsibilities to direct reports and give them discretion and authority to carry them out.
Feedback/Coaching (mentoring): managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Program Director or Director.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Click “Apply Now” to complete a short application and upload your resume and cover letter. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=SGVydHkuOTI1MzIuMzgzMEB0ZWNobm9zZXJ2ZS5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Powered by Jobs Tanzania