Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 10 Nov 2017
We’re looking for a Monitoring & Results Measurement Specialist (Central Corridor, Tanzania)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Skills for Employment Tanzania (SET) is a planned multi-phase vocational skills development project to be funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). SET aims to improve prospects of gainful youth employment and self-employment by improving relevance, quality, and access to vocational skills development. Through a market systems facilitation approach, the project’s focus will be on supporting and leveraging existing Tanzanian institutions to expand and adapt their services in order to address the needs and demands of both youth and the economy. An inception phase is estimated to run February to March 2018, followed by a four-year implementation phase, valued at $6.1 million.
As Monitoring & Results Measurement Specialist you will:
- Lead and manage day-to-day monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities of the SET project.
- Be responsible for enabling evidence-based decision-making processes by program leadership, providing the necessary data, analysis and information to improve performance and effectiveness and informing planning and management decisions.
- Develop and implement the project’s M&E systems, including program monitoring and quality control systems, evaluation systems (e.g. baseline and other surveys), analytical planning processes, management of all project data, and oversight of third-party M&E service providers.
- Provide technical assistance and training to project staff to ensure understanding and commitment to the project’s M&E protocols. This may include frequent visits to the field to support staff in the implementation of M&E systems and identification of potential adaptations and improvements.
- Contribute to the preparation of periodic donor reports and materials to share learnings with other stakeholders.
- Ensure all monitoring & evaluation data is gender-disaggregated, and develop systems to promote the project’s gender strategy, review gender targets and make suggestions for course correction as necessary.
Please note this position is contingent upon donor funding.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics or another social science (such as Anthropology or Sociology), Business Administration, Agriculture or International Development is required. A Master’s degree in one of these areas is preferred.
A minimum of 5-7 years of experience within monitoring and evaluation (M&E) roles, including:
Applying M&E methods and approaches, including quantitative, qualitative and participatory methods.
Designing, planning, implementing and evaluating projects using a theory of change, logical framework, results chain or similar. Familiarity with the DAC Quality Standards for Development Evaluation is highly desired.
Planning and implementing M&E systems.
Writing cohesive analyses and reports. Excellent writing skills are highly desired.
Strong analytical, management, and data analysis skills including advanced competence in Excel.
Knowledge of SalesForce or other data management system, and familiarity with mobile-based data capture, such as an ODK, CommCare, etc.
Demonstrated an understanding of and passion for economic empowerment and improvement of livelihoods. Professional experience working on rural youth employment, vocational skills development and/or organizational capacity building is highly desired.
Demonstrated an understanding of the application of M&E methods on a project that uses a market systems development/market systems facilitation/M4P approach.
Working proficiency in both English and Swahili required.
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas, and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates an open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Donor/Partnership Management: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Analysis, Research, Report Writing: Experience in business planning and analysis, modeling for feasibility and execution. Able to analyze and express oneself clearly in business writing.
- Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include Monitoring and Evaluation Manager.
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a non-returnable single Word-formatted document consisting of cover letter, resume and salary history with the subject “Monitoring & Results Measurement Specialist.” The final deadline for application is November 10, 2017.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Women are encouraged to apply.
TechnoServe encourages diversity at all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
How to apply:
Please follow this link to apply: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=SGVydHkuMjM4MDAuMzgzMEB0ZWNobm9zZXJ2ZS5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Powered by Jobs Tanzania