Job Position: Accountant
Employer: Karibu Tanzania Organization (KTO)
Location: Dar es Salaam
Purpose of the position
This position is critical to the finance department of the organization. The accountant is the primary point of contact when it comes to providing technical support on grant accounting and ensuring compliance to grants regulations and relevant financial policies. This individual will provide support to various projects including budgeting, reporting and risk management, ensuring that terms and conditions of the grants are met. The candidate will have good collaboration and analysis skills.
- Financial Reporting and Accountability
- Prepare Grants financial reports in accordance with donor requirements and ensure timeliness and accuracy;
- Generate Financial analysis on grant financial Information that will provide management with information for decision making;
- Provide timely response and feedback on grant financial Issues;
- Provide leading role in ensuring Labor Distribution reports/Timesheets are prepared every month by relevant staff;
- Update grants profile in order to monitor program life and grant budgets;
- Discuss with program managers/coordinators grant reports and tackle any outstanding issues in a timely manner;
- Prepare monthly reports for programs and the overall organization to the finance manager.
Budget management and control
- Ensuring budget control by adequately checking all costs that are chargeable to grants;
- Participate in grant proposal development and extensions, by providing technical support in development of grant budgets that are in line with effective implementation of grants, donor requirements and KTO policy;
- Ensure spending is within the budget limit to control overspending within programs;
- Review Field Financial Documents/Sub-grantee documents regularly to ascertain the level of internal controls in the financial process;
- Post Budgets in KTO Financial System (QuickBooks) in a timely manner and as per KTO guidelines;
- Continuously monitor budget commitments for programs and advise responsible managers on any significant occurrences.
Policy Management and Internal Controls
- Monitor grant periods and ensure that grant phase out financial requirement s are adequately met and grants are smoothly phased out; and
- Review all payments related to grants to ensure they are within the policy, adhere to internal control standards and donor requirements.
Risk Management and Internal Control
- Ensure audit process runs smoothly by providing accurate information in a timely manner and that there are no questioned costs/Qualified reports;
- Ensure Grants finance issues picked during the audit and recommendations thereof are implemented within 90 days and providing the Responsible Manager with a quarterly report on the status;
- Continuously review the grants finance risk register and mitigating controls to ensure that emerging risks are being addressed; and
- Contribute towards the effort of creating awareness to implementing staff/partners on grants regulations through training, meetings and monitoring.
- Ensure Grant Accounting records and their completeness;
- Ensure QuickBooks Backups are available in accordance with KTO policy;
- Maintain correspondences with relevant stakeholders; and
- Update the resource center with new information.
Other competences and attributes
- Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as negotiation skills;
- Must adhere to set security standards;
- Ensure a gender perspective in the scope of work;
- Perform other duties as required from time to time;
- Strong leadership and demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team, prioritize tasks and manage multiple activities with attention to detail, meeting tight deadlines under pressure; and
- Should be proficient with both English and Swahili Languages.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Educational level required Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting or related field from a reputable and accredited university;
- The candidate should be CPA (T) or its equivalent;
- A Minimum of 4 years’ experience in an NGO. Experience should include proposal budget development, Reporting and post award management;
- Experience in sub-grantee management and capacity building;
- A good understanding of the full cycle of a grant;
- Understanding of the relevant accounting standards;
- Advanced MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint applications;
- Exceptional financial and analytical skills; and
- Solid understanding of the QuickBooks Accounting software is highly preferred.
Working environment / Condition
Work environment: Office-based with occasional travel to our field offices
Mode of Application
Please forward your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or before 16 March, 2018. Please ensure to include your active contacts and three professional references one of them being your latest supervisor.
Note that, due to high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to respond to every applicant. Kindly consider yourself unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 30 working days of your application.
Powered by Jobs Tanzania