Our Client, The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
GRADE: Professional Staff Category P1
REPORTS TO: Executive Secretary
ORGAN/INSTITUTION: East African Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
STATION: Bujumbura , Burundi
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
To coordinate and facilitate provision of financial accounting and management functions through the implementation of effective and efficient financial administration and management systems in the generation, utilization and conservation of financial resources accordance with the established policies, regulations, guidelines, standards and procedures of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. To manage and administer all the funds of the of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) and its various regional projects and programmes in accordance with the existing EAC Financial Rules and Registrations and also the respective donor specific financial disbursement and reporting guidelines.
2. Validate payment vouchers, cheques, local purchase orders for all transactions relating of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) as well as other relevant expenditures.
3. Reconcile ledger accounts of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) and also follow up on imprest money given to staff.
4. Monitor and ensure that enough funds are available in the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) and also initiate disbursement requests to donors once the minimum threshold is reached.
5. Maintain regular and timely accounting records and prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC).
6. Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) for accountability of the funds disbursed and analysis of accounts so that decision makers and donors are able to receive timely and accurate financial information.
7. Assist all the executive management, administrative and technical officers of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) to prepare budgets for the planned activities.
8. Monitor the expenditure of all funds of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) with a view to ensuring that the amounts specified for each budget line items are not exceeded.
9. Prepare payments and allowances for the implementation of all the planned and approved activities of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
10. Prepare annual budgets and financial reports/statements of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) in liaison with the Executive Secretary and other administrative and technical officers of the Commission for presentation to the EAC Council of Ministers and also various international development partners and stakeholders involved in providing financial assistance in support of the implementation of the relevant activities of the Commission.
11. Maintain financial ledgers and implement strong internal financial control systems in order to facilitate timely financial reports, budget and accountabilities of the of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
12. Prepare monthly cost comparison reports for budgetary control and also financial accountability for all expenditures and their disbursements against the respective budget codes and relevant budget heads (line items) for all the planned and approved activities of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
13. Maintain a permanent and secure register and record the depreciation schedules of all movable and immovable assets of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC).
14. Manage credit levels of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC) for various debtors and creditors and follow-up for payments and refunds where applicable.
15. Design and facilitate implementation of payroll system in liaison with the Deputy Executive Secretary (Finance and Administration) and the Office Secretary/Administrative Assistant.
16. Co-ordinate internal/external audit activities.
17. Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC).
18. Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Management and Administration of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC)
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1. A Bachelor’s degree preferably in Finance or Accounting or equivalent qualification from a recognised university
2. Possess Professional qualifications i.e CPA (K), CPA (U), CPA (T), ACCA, ICPAU or equivalent
3. Minimum five (5) years relevant experience
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
1. Relevant working experience of not less than five (5) years as an Accountant in a busy organization at national or regional level, with experience in donor-funded project management and financial reporting.
2. Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities)
3. Must be proficient in general office computer applications and also various Computerised Financial Management Information Systems such as the Sun System Accounting Package, Navision, SafePastel and other computer-based finacial packages.
4. Good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work in multi-cultural environment and ability to plan and manage own work, including managing conflicting priorities for timely completion of assignment, self motivated with ability to work with minimum supervision.
5. Analytical skills, interpersonal, communication, report writing, leadership, teamwork, supervisory and planning skills.
6. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
7. Self motivated with ability to work with minimum supervision
8. Must be fluent in written and spoken English language.
9. Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines
10. Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: Five (5) years, renewable once.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
Professional staff positions are tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once, while the general staff positions are tenable for five (5) years renewable until mandatory retirement age of 60 years subject satisfactory conduct and performance.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
This post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective countries. Examples include: Accountants, Auditors, Engineers, Procurement Specialists, and Medical Personnel.
RELEVANT WORKING EXPERIENCE:
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience. The same will apply for any experience attained before professional certification where relevant.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees. Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 6th April 2015.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited 10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue: P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail: email@example.com www.deloitte.com
Powered by Jobs Tanzania